Friday, February 20, 2009

Instinctive Fears



"All of us are born with a set of instinctive fears--of falling, of the dark, of lobsters, of falling on lobsters in the dark, or speaking before a Rotary Club, and of the words "Some Assembly Required."
---- Dave Barry

I don't have a lot of phobias, but the one I do have wasn't on this extensive list: A list of Phobias

I was happy to discover that there are a lot of things that I am
not afraid of! Like otters. And beards.

Do you have a phobia? Not just a general dislike of something, but is there something that really frightens you?

6 comments:

idreamicanfly said...

I have a fear of falling. Not heights - falling. Like roller coasters, and skydiving. Which I like to think is fairly sensible, but apparently the majority of the country disagrees. Because I see y'all, and you're still riding roller coasters.

So what's your phobia? Give over :)

idreamicanfly said...

How funny. Dave Barry's heard of my phobia, but it's not on the list...

Alisa said...

Mine is falling as well I guess. I always categorized it as heights, but now I see the difference. Roller coasters and bungee jumping are not on my bucket list.

MrsMama said...

Jo, are you afraid of falling on lobsters in the dark too?! ;) I didn't see that one on the List.

I am irrationally afraid of stepping on (and popping) earthworms on the sidewalk and of broken bones.

And I can assure you - you won't see ME riding any roller coasters!

MrsMama said...

Alisa - I'm with you! I so hate that sick, sucking feeling in my stomach when I drop suddenly, like on a swing or amusement park ride. It's gotten worse as I've gotten older.

April said...

Heights
Looking at a blade cutting skin
Needles
Looking at needles going into skin
My rooster
Going up the stairs in the dark
Bugs
Big spiders
Gas station restrooms
My daughter's room