Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Bookish


I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.
Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice, 1811
Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.
P. J. O'Rourke

Reading is sometimes an ingenious device for avoiding thought.
Sir Arthur Helps
Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
Sir Richard Steele
Never judge a book by its movie.
JW Eagan

I love reading. Mostly as an escape. I am constantly battling the lure of settling in with a good book verses attending to the list of tasks at hand. I know there's a balance somewhere but at times I struggle to keep it. If you could see my house right now, I think you'd know who won the battle this week! :P

So, have you read anything good lately? I've got some laundry that I'd like to put off a little longer and could use some recommendations.

4 comments:

idreamicanfly said...

Oh, I recently found a new author. If you're into the guilty pleasure of action/romance, she's a dangerous discovery. I've been *plowing* my way through her back catalog. I'm afraid I'm a speed reader, which is a very expensive skill. If I ignore pretty much everything else, I can read a book a day. Guess where last couple weeks went? :)

Yes, in the two weeks since I found her, I've finished 12 of the 14 books in Suzanne Brockman's Troubleshooters series. The other two are sitting here staring at me. And no, I'm not going to figure out how much they cost me. Or how I'm going to cram them into my overstuffed bookshelves.

Must run, I can hear some books calling me...

Alisa said...

I love reading. I just read Widow of the South, which you would never guess coming from me, but is a Civil War based book. I will read pretty much anything. You need to check out paperback swap.com. I know I keep touting it, but seriously, I have found so many books that I never would have otherwise. And authors.

MrsMama said...

Jo, I kickbox with an author and she was telling me about meeting Suzanne Brockman and how Suzanne encouraged her with her writing and greatly influenced her decision to create a series. How cool is that?

Thanks, ladies, for the lovely new ways to procrastinate. :)

idreamicanfly said...

I did read a brilliant serious book recently, that I forgot to mention. It's called Three Cups of Tea, and it's about a former mountain climber who builds schools for kids in Pakistan. Very, very cool and very insightful.