Friday, February 27, 2009

Ambush!



"You," the teacher pointed at my daughter and spoke in a quiet voice. "You go hide behind the curtains."

"And you," his eyes turned towards me. "Hide in the bathroom. When you hear the knock, come out fighting."

"Yes sir." I caught my daughter's gaze and we exchanged a meaningful glance before jogging off to our assigned places. This was going to be fun.

It's never boring when Mr. N is teaching martial arts. He likes to implement what we've learned into a possible real life scenario. In this class, apparently, we were going to explore what would happen if a handful of attackers came out of the woodwork to target one person.

By the time class was over, we had learned several helpful strategies:

Keep moving, don't get stuck in a corner, run away if you can, don't fall down, if you have to fight - try to disable your opponent, use objects in your environment as weapons or shields and, above all, don't give up.

Funny, I think I used these same set of guidelines to survive when my children were young. ;)

Which, of course, begs the question, How Many 5 Year Olds Could You Take in a Fight?

3 comments:

Alisa said...

As I was reading, my first thought was that this sounded like my parenting tactic when The Kids were little ones! Too funny.
Here's hoping you two never have to put into practice what you're learning!

idreamicanfly said...

Oh, I always get a lovely high score on that one (How Many Five Year Olds...). I'm up to 33!

MrsMama said...

Jo, wow - I only can take on 17. That's probably because it's hard for me to overcome my sweet, motherly instincts. Now, if a room full of people were out to hurt MY little one - watch out!