Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Unexpected


When I signed up for kickboxing, I expected certain results such as stopping that lovely jiggle under my arm, and becoming fit enough to keep up with my children. But I didn't expect the pleasure of getting to know the people around me.

I have to admit that I've lived a fairly sheltered life. As a girl, I grew up in an Intentionally Planned Community, where everyone knew everyone and we were all fairly like-minded. During college, I hung out with people similar to myself - studious and rather predictable. As an adult, most of my friends are family-oriented moms who I've met though church or my children's school. And since I'm a SAHM, I don't often have the opportunity to interact with people outside of those circles.

But in Kickboxing, I partner with a short, single mother who rides motorcycles. I play shoulder tag with some really cool college kids. In Martial Arts, I am taught by a soft-spoken, gravity-defying young man from Japan and coached in boxing by a tall Irishman who would hold his own in a pub brawl. I've sparred with a crippled Indian disabled Native American and learned how to throw a double roundhouse from a gray-haired, energetic grandfather. These people are delightful and I've truly enjoyed getting to know them. They are different from me but it's OK.

Actually, it's great. And I didn't expect that.

No comments: