Tuesday, May 20, 2008
GF No Bake Chocolate Cookies
Miss Munchkin is on a Gluten-Free diet and we adapted the following recipe so that she could eat it. I have to tell you - these are the best No Bake Cookies I have ever eaten! (And I have eaten a lot.)
* 4 oz butter or margarine (we used Earth Balance's Buttery Sticks)
* 1/2 cup milk (we used soy)
* 2 cups sugar
* 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (we used a gf, dairy-free brand)
* 3 to 4 tablespoons peanut butter, optional (not really)
* 3 cups oats, quick or old-fashioned (we used Bob Mill's gf)
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Place chocolate chips, peanut butter (if used), oats, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Combine the margarine, milk, and sugar in a saucepan; bring to a rolling boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Combine the hot mixture with the oatmeal and chocolate chip mixture; stir well.
Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper. Let cool and snarf.
Sidenote: Timing is tricky with no bake cookies. If you don't boil the sugar mixture long enough, the cookies won't set up and you will have to scrape limp, bendy cookies off of the wax paper with a spoon, hunch over the counter and scoop them into your mouth. It can be done, mind you, but it's much nicer when you can lift the cookies and carry them away (then you can eat them in bed or at the computer!). The key is not to start the timer until the mixture is at a rolling boil. I've found that the mixture gets a bit shiny when it's ready.