Sunday, May 04, 2008

Behind the Scenes of a Flower Photoshoot


About Face, originally uploaded by MrsMama.

I had some lovely flowers left over from a recent photoshoot and wanted to do something fun with them before they shriveled up and died. It was a gorgeous day so I took them outside and held them up against the sky with one hand and shot with the other. I'm sure I looked rather silly, twirling around and around, looking for the perfect light, but hey - I think it was worth it!

I think this photograph is visually interesting because of the stong contrast between the blue and yellow. Also, the perspective is unusual. Most people shoot flowers by looking down on the front of them, with the ground as the backdrop. It's fun to do something different and a bit unexpected!

If you really want to know the gory details, I took about 20 photos and only kept the 2 best ones. I edited them in Lightroom, increasing the contrast slightly and bumping up the "vivid" slider. I didn't crop at all. 1/800 at f4.0, ISO 100, 50mm 1.8 lens.

So now you know.

1 comment:

April said...

This reminds me of Georgia O'Keefe's sunflower.http://store.cmastore.org/03716-8.html