Saturday, May 31, 2008

Caffinated Confessions

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

If I could afford it, I'd drink Pete's coffee most of the time. It's fairly pricey so for my everyday coffee, I like Seattle Best's Fair Trade Organic French Roast.



I used to drink my coffee with lots of 1/2 and 1/2 and sugar until I found that I had high cholesterol and needed to loose some weight. Then I weaned myself off of adding sugar and switched to fat free 1/2 and 1/2.

Except:

Last Fall I was hosting a coffee function at Miss Munchkin's school and a parent raved on and on about this:




Up till that point, I was such a coffee snob - I never touched that fake creamer stuff. But, just to humor her, I added some to my coffee and - oh my! It tasted just like those fancy Gingerbread Lattes at Starbucks! Only this cost less than $4 a cup. I was hooked.

But there was a problem - this is a seasonal flavor and was only offered once a year. So I did what any reasonable coffee addict would do - I stocked up. This stuff has a frighteningly long shelf life so every time I went to the grocery store, I took all of the Pumpkin Spice creamer off of the shelves and hid them in my vegetable drawer of my refrigerator at home. Inevitably the stores stopped carrying it so I switched to Fat Free Cinnamon Vanilla Creme. I can't, in good conscience, actually recommend the stuff because it has hydrogenated oil. Their website states:
Liquid flavors contain less than 0.5g of trans fat per serving. Although the ingredient statement lists partially hydrogenated oil, the amount is trivial. Therefore, it can be listed as 0 (per FDA guidelines) on the nutritional statement. COFFEE-MATE Fat Free, Sugar Free and Original have a 0 trans fat content.
But if you REALLY want to try it, or if you already use it, here's coupon for a Free Bottle (until June 2nd).

3 comments:

sapphire443 said...

Haha, I found that quiz too, thanks to your link to "How many 5 year olds can you beat in a fight?" I think I was 63% addicted or something...not quite up to my big sister's standards yet! I probably spent a little too much time on that website. Their quizzes are fun, though! How many countries can you name in 5 minutes?

April said...

You have a problem and need to seek treatment. Is there a clinic for fake coffee flavor addicts?

I'm hard core and can drink coffee pitch black.....that makes me a grown up, so says one of my younger friends.

MrsMama said...

Rene, I'm not doing that country quiz - it would only serve to embarrass me in public. I bet you did great, though!

April, I don't need treatment, I need Pumpkin Spice Creamer all year 'round!