Friday, May 01, 2009

Ladies, This One's for You


I know I have been guilty of this: being totally oblivious while loading stuff like groceries into my car. This is especially easy to do when your children are along; sometimes it seems like it's all you can do to get them into their carseats and keep them from eating the groceries! Please watch this short video and keep it in the back of your mind the next time you are out and about. I want you to be safe!

Another time I feel totally vulnerable is when I am vacuuming out my van in one of those public places. My rear is sticking out, my head is looking under the seats, and the noise is so loud that I would never hear anyone approaching. I have one of my Munchkins be my "lookout" so I won't be caught unaware.

7 comments:

Alisa said...

I never thought of loading with my back to the car. I try to look around, etc., but this is so easy, yet brilliant.
Thanks!

Brad, Lauri & Ethan Bernet said...

Wow-i am a real dummy, i never even thought of this, and i try to be aware....thanks for sharing :)

idreamicanfly said...

I do stay aware, but honestly, a couple quick elbow strikes to the head followed by a swift kick to the nether regions would have taken care of this guy.

MrsMama said...

Ah dear, sweet Jo. Not everyone is a trained killer like yourself. ;)

Alisa said...

Jo-
I had the same idea. Why didn't she at least try to fight back, it could have worked.
Demonstration purposes I suppose.

idreamicanfly said...

Ha! Of course if he'd started by coshing her in the head (or holding a gun to her head), her fighting options would have been reduced. Even I don't enjoy gun disarms, and I've trained for them. If they go wrong, you have a hole in you, which is a bit hard to undo/ So it is always good to stay aware.

Having said that, the whole "loading everything into the car while facing out" really doesn't work when you're putting a baby in the car. Nice as a concept, but not widely applicable.

MrsMama said...

One nice thing about minivans and SUVs is that they are big enough that you can actually get in them all the way, close and lock the door, and THEN buckle baby in.

I think if you have a car and a baby, you just have to be careful and aware of what's going around you. And learn to buckle quickly! :)