Friday, September 05, 2008

Fight Class Update


We started out by jumping rope. I've read that 15 minutes of jumping rope equals 45 minutes of running. I don't know if that's true, but I think I'd rather run. Have you jumped rope lately? Not since 7th grade, you say? Good for you! Don't start now; it's hard!

We spent some time working on slipping a punch. This involves pivoting slightly on your feet and turning your shoulder inward, theoretically moving your head just out of the way. In the nick of time. Yeah. It takes some coordination and fast reflexes, both of which I, um, frankly lack.

Then we partnered up and worked on some combos. I found out that one of the guys used to be a boxer! That would probably explain why he can hit me so well. He's just so fast! But he's rather short and I can kick higher than him so I got in a few headshots that way. I think that'll be my only hope with this guy.

All the guys there are in good shape. We did 30 sit ups and mountain climbers followed by 2 sets of 20 pushups and 20 dips. Well, they did. I puttered out a bit before that.

We ended with an exercise intended to tighten our abs. Basically you stand in front of your partner and punch him in the stomach. Repeatedly. Mr. B (not in the nose!) was my partner for this and, when it was my turn, I guess I was making hideous faces. "Just blow it out, breathe through it," he kept encouraging. But he had it wrong - I wasn't in pain; I was just desperately trying to keep my last 20lbs from jiggling.

4 weeks down, 4 to go.

3 comments:

April said...

Hey, next time make him check out your triceps before he gets to smack you in the pudge.

Alisa said...

Wow, you are going to be buffed. Good for you taking on a boxer.

MrsMama said...

Ha ha ha, thanks April. :)

Alisa, don't worry, the boxer is safe from me. Very, very safe.