Friday, September 05, 2008

Bad, Bad Bottle


Over the Summer, I always kept a package of bottled waters for the kids tucked in the back of the van. I remember complaining to a mom about how hot the water got and she said, "Oh, you're not susposed to drink them after they've been heated up - the chemicals from the plastic leach out into the water." I think I nodded politely but was thinking, "Okaaaay. Whatever, Weird Lady." I did store my next flat of water bottles in the house, however. You know, just in case.

Weird Lady's statement was still rattling around in the back of my mind when I came across this list. I have to admit, some of these reasons to avoid disposable plastic water bottles are rather compelling. And only one of them involves creepy chemicals.

But I think the final straw came from constantly lugging home heavy flats of little bottles and then having haul the same scores of flimsy plastic bottles to the recycling center every week. So, slow down Bandwagon, I'm going to hop on. Not entirely on, mind you, more like perched precariously on the side. Nothing too extreme: I ordered a Klean Kanteen for each of us. They are on their way - I'll show you what they look like and let you know how they work when they arrive!

By the way, did you know that only 23% of plastic water bottles are recycled in the US? 38 billion bottles go in the landfill each year.

Just something to think about....

1 comment:

Alisa said...

Stop with the guilt already! We are using our nalgene bottles that I bought just last summer.
I just spent $60 on lunchbox systems for The Kids to save the Earth from errant Ziploc sandwich bags! Where does it all end?
Enjoy your Siggs. I'm jealous, they have very cool designs.