Monday, August 25, 2008

Yes Sir


One of my favorite aspects of Jane Austin's world is the uber-polite way with which people greet each other. A deliberate curtsy or bow accompanied by a formal verbal acknowledgment and general deference to each other. Calling each other "Sir" or "Miss".

By now, you may have figured out the answer to my previous question:
What does Jane Austin society and martial arts class have in common?
Our martial art's school is a bit less formal than others, but still we bow to our teachers when greeting them and give a polite verbal acknowledgment. We address the black belts as "Sir" or "Ma'am". There is a deliberate courteous respect. I love that!

1 comment:

Alisa said...

I love that as well. It was one of the hardest things for The Boy to willingly do with his training. It shocked me that I've raised my son to open doors for his sister and me, but he could not seem to give respect in that way. He is finally doing it. I still have no clue why he fought it so hard though, in general, he's very respectful.