Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Fowl Play


This morning we stopped by one of our favorite local places - an arboretum featuring several ponds, lovely bike paths and gorgeous landscaping. I left the Master happily playing by a little waterfall while I jogged around the path. I could see him racing tiny bits of wood (boats) over the rocks as I ran nearby. At one point he flagged me down and pointed to a blue heron that was wading nearby. Amazing!

As I jogged, I passed other mothers chatting with each other, pushing stollers and watching wobbly preschoolers balance on their training wheels. Eventually all the kids ended up by the pond, watching a family of geese. By this time, my child had finished racing boats over the waterfall and was standing up to his knees in the pond, feeding the geese muddy plants that he was scooping from the murky depths. The other mothers looked around in horror, wondering where the mother was that would let her boy do that. Some of their boys wanted to join in, but were promptly called back and quickly herded towards the safety of the sidewalk.

By the time we left, Master Munchkin was wet, happy, muddy and full of stories of his adventures. I was sweaty, and wishing I had brought my camera. Ah well, there's always next time.

3 comments:

April said...

You're a much nicer mom than me. I would have strapped him to the top of the van and not let him in the house until I hosed him down outside. It's all about how much work their fun costs ME!

Alisa said...

A mom who actually lets her kids play like we did when we were kids? How dare you! My neighbor just about had a conniption the other day when my son said he was thirsty and I told him to drink from the hose. If it was good enough for me...
Glad you let the master have fun!

Rechelle said...

You go girl! Let's start a club Mom's Who Mud. What the heck is childhood for if not to get filthy dirty every day?