Wednesday, January 30, 2008

May I Present to You


If you are learning Photography, you probably have come across this gentleman. If not, I would be honored to introduce you to him! Mr. Kelby has written several books that have been indispensable to me. He manages to take technical information and translate it into a form that I can understand.

I have to admit that the manual that came with my camera has not been very helpful to me - it's like it is in a foreign language (yes, I realize that there is a manual that comes with the camera that actually is written in a foreign language, but I'm talking about the other one - the one written in "English").

Unlike my manual, Scott (you can call him by his first name now, since I've properly introduced you) is not only user-friendly, he's funny too. I highly recommend his book:

and its recently released sequel:

In case you can't read the teeny tiny print above, it says, The Digital Photography Book: The step-by-step secrets for how to make your photos look like the pros'! by Scott Kelby. Volume 2 builds on the first book and contains exactly what I am wanting/needing to learn right now. One of my favorite aspects of these books are the "recipes" in the back. Each page features a gorgeous photo then it is like Scott is standing over your shoulder coaching you: to get this type of shot, set your camera to this, position yourself like this, don't forget about this, etc. Very helpful!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooh thanks for sharing! I will go look at amazon.com now. :)

April said...

Can you just start taking all my pictures for me? You would need to follow me around and I'll point at what you should shoot. I'll feed you and water you and let you have a couple coveted drawers in my dresser. No? Fine, I'll keep taking bad photos and posting them on my blog to make you cringe and feel sorry for me.

Donna Boucher said...

Oh! I need the new book.

It was from Scott that I learned about the northern light's magic :o)

MrsMama said...

April, your kids are so cute that you are seriously tempting me! Would there be bierocks? (which my spellchecker insists should be spelled "crockeries", which is just silly; I KNOW there would be crockery! :)

April said...

Yes! Lots of beirochs (that's how I spell it) and crockery and maybe some rocketry and beer and rocks.

MrsMama said...

April, WELL then, definitely count me in! ;)