Sunday, January 20, 2008

Grateful





I am feeling healthy!

This is something that I do not take for granted. Not anymore. Since being diagnosed with Crohn's Disease 16 years ago, I have learned that health is a Gift, not a Given. I bounce back and forth between doing well and feeling really sick. At my worst, I am left with no energy, unable to eat, and in a lot of pain.

After my last major flare-up, my doctor decided it was time to start a new medication. I was reluctant because of some scary side effects, but it has been working wonderfully! My straight hair has grown in with a slight wave (oooo, bouncy) and, more importantly, the disease is now under control. I have gone from taking 20-30 pills a day to 5. For the first time in years, I have ENERGY. I am able to do things with my children, I can eat anything, I am not in pain.

I am definitely taking advantage of this time because I do not know how long it will last. As of this date, there is no cure for Crohn's; it will come back. But for now, I will enjoy this Gift.

4 comments:

Donna Boucher said...

I am so thankful that you are feeling well.

Are you very careful with your diet?

Have you read "The Makers Diet"?

It is my only exposure with Crohn's.

Be well!

Love,
Donna

MrsMama said...

Thanks, Donna.

When I am in remission, I can pretty much eat whatever I want to. :)

However, since I currently trying to loose some weight that I gained when I was on steroids, I am eating pretty healthily.

And I do have that book on my bookshelf.

I'm glad you stopped by! :)

Ann said...

I am so glad to hear it. Thanks be to God!

SarahinSC said...

Found your blog from you comment on PW's blog. I don't have Crohn's, but another autoimmune disease called ankylosing spondylitis. I am in a pretty bad flare and tend to seek out others who know, on some level, what I'm dealing with. I hope you're doing well!