Sunday, July 13, 2008

World Lit


To me, a vacation wouldn't be much of a vacation without lots of books. And time spent curled away in a comfy corner chair, reading without (much) interruption.

On this trip, I ventured a bit outside of my normal reading fare. First I snarfed down John Grisham's The Summons and The Last Juror. Then I read a contemporary romance written by my kickboxing buddy, Amy Knupp, Doctor in Her House. Then came a fluffy, fast read - Sisterchicks Go Brit by Robin Jones Gunn followed by the fascinating tale from Angela Hunt, She Always Wore Red. Lastly I devoured Saving Alice by David Lewis.

I found a treasure in a Breckenridge book shop; Photographing the Landscape: The Art of Seeing by John Fielder is worth reading and re-reading (while being careful not to drool over his gorgeous pictures).

Before the Road Trip, I picked up the unabridged, 10-hour audio version of The Swiss Family Robinson. As we drove, our whole family sat enraptured, listening to the elegant diction and vocabulary written in the late 1800's. What a great story!
And my great wish is that young people who read this record of our lives and adventures, should learn from it how admirably suited is the peaceful, industrious and pious life of a cheerful and united family, to the formation of strong, pure and manly character.
And, of course, no family trip would be complete without some good ol' Hank the Cowdog. :)

2 comments:

Alisa said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who tortures my family with audio books on our long vacation drives. When hubby and I went to TN last summer (kids were with grandparents) I made him listen to The Widow of The South. He loves me.

MrsMama said...

Good for you! :) I bet he secretly enjoyed it.