Thursday, April 10, 2008

Weight Class


My husband and I are fairly new fans of MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) and UFC. Some of the terminology they throw around can be a bit confusing so let's look at the Weight Classes.

The UFC currently uses five weight classes:

* Lightweight: 146 to 155 lb
* Welterweight: 156 to 170 lb
* Middleweight: 171 to 185 lb
* Light Heavyweight: 186 to 205 lb
* Heavyweight: 206 to 265 lb

In addition, there are four other weight classes specified in the Unified Rules which the UFC does not currently utilize: Flyweight (under 125 lb), Bantamweight (126 to 135 lb), Featherweight (136 to 145 lb), and Super Heavyweight ( above 265 lb).

To bring things down to a more personal level, I am a Welterweight. I started as a Middleweight and am currently trying to get into the Lightweight division. Ultimately, I'd like to be a Featherweight. That has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? Maybe, when I'm a Featherweight, I won't have to get on the scale at the doctor's office anymore. I'll just tell them, "Oh, I'm a Featherweight," and they will nod knowingly and wave me by, jotting down a note in my chart. Y'think?

By the way, even though Miss Munchkin is a Flyweight, she can front kick me across the room! I'm so proud. :)

No comments: