Friday, May 14, 2010

Miss Munchkin






















"Look Mom, I can stand on the ceiling!"

Every since Miss Munchkin was little, she has been a very active child.  She was walking at 9 months, climbing trees when she was 2, and ran in places that she should have walked.  Along with her energy, she was very bright, very determined, and very, very busy.   I was exhausted!  I remember taking her to the library when she was two.  She ran away from me and I found her dancing on top of one of the library tables.  Honestly, there is a reason that there is a 7 year age-gap between our children.  I thought, "How can people have more than one of these impossible creatures precious children?!" 

With age came maturity and, thankfully, a drop in her energy level.  She was still determined, however.  She taught herself to ride her bike when she was 5; peddling furiously around the cuald-a-sac, sweaty and red-faced, falling over and over but refusing to give up.  It was the same with swimming and skiing.   When Miss Munchkin was 9, she decided that she wanted to go diving for treasure.  It didn't matter that we lived in land-locked Kansas.  She set her mind to it and, at age 10, became a certified scuba diver.  She passed the adult written test and all of the grueling physical and mental tasks set before her.  I remember standing on the edge of the lake, watching her disappear beneath the cloudy waters, where she had to go down 25 feet, remove her face mask, empty out the water and put it back on.

Now that she is almost 16, I see that some of that same stubbornness determination.  She's decided that she's going to be an "A" student.  She will be testing for her Black Belt in mixed martial arts this year.  As difficult as she was during the early years, she has actually been a delightful teenager.  And I'm really proud to be her parent.

6 comments:

CountessLaurie said...

What a cutie she was and a beauty she has grown into! My girls are very "busy". Hopefully they grow up as nicely!

MrsMama said...

Aw, thanks Laurie. Now that I've had an active girl, I have to say I wouldn't want it any other way. Now, if you asked me 10 years ago.... ;)

Anonymous said...

This is really good to know. ;D Your daughter is adorable in that scuba picture! My daughter saw it and I can already see her wheels spinnng...uh oh.

It's me ...Mavis said...

I LOVE teenagers... they are such cool people... I don't think adults give them enough credit. My daughter has decided to sign up for the cross county team this fall... this is coming from the girl who last summer could barely walk 1 mile... tonight she ran 4 miles... Kids rule!

Alisa said...

She is an amazing kid! Such a go getter.

Kaele said...

That was so fun to read! I remember her in Kindergarten. And what a change she made when she went into 1st grade! I think that may have been when she became a big sister? She had such a "mothering" tendency in 1st grade...

Yay for Aubrey!